BA (Hons) Illustration with Plymouth University
Study Illustration at Plymouth University – Illustration is a vast subject – it enquires and feeds off information. It’s all about communication from within a personal visual voice. It’s not anonymous, it’s exciting and powerful. It’s crucial to how we see, develop and interact with the world from a very early age. It’s part of all our daily lives – on screen, on the page and in the environment. It’s about stories…
Learn more about applying for a place studying BA (Hons) Illustration Plymouth University
Illustration: Mia Wasdell
PLYMOUTH ILLUSTRATION OPTIONAL AWARD
After learning the fundamentals that apply across illustrative practice in Year One, in Years Two and Three you have several options.
BA (Hons) Illustration is the choice to pick if you want to keep your options nice and open.
Poster by Imogen Mangle
Alternatively you can choose one of the following;
Illustration: Natalia Patkiewicz
BA (Hons) Illustration; Animation & The Screen. Illustrators have an important role in live action and animation preproduction processes and often work on concept design, character and background design, storyboarding, key framing and the creation of animatics (moving storyboards set to sound).
Illustration: Natalia Patkiewicz
Illustration: Hannah Bone
BA (Hons) Illustration; Children’s Markets. Not only illustration for picture books, but also character design and related merchandise, printed and online learning materials, stationery, toys, games, interactive media, clothing, interior furnishings and more, all aimed towards a child audience.
Illustration: Joanna Col – Selected for AOI World Illustration Awards 2017
Illustration: Laura Hole
BA (Hons) Illustration; Comics & Visual Narratives. Comics have branched out from their superhero confines to become a much broader, creative medium, ranging from mainstream appeal to more esoteric interests, all via the art of paneled narratives.
Screen print studio at Plymouth University
BA (Hons) Illustration; Printmaking. This technique-led option allows you to explore a range of processes including woodcut, silkscreen, etching / mezzotint, dry point, lithography and collagraph, to name but a few. Doing so allows you to find different ways of communicating concepts that connect to contemporary illustration practice.
Illustration: Tilly Thompson
TO SEE OUR GRADUATES
WORK FROM 2021
Special Course Features: Study Illustration at Plymouth University
Illustration is a vast subject – it enquires and feeds off information. It’s all about communication from within a personal visual voice. It’s not anonymous, it’s exciting and powerful. It’s crucial to how we see, develop and interact with the world from a very early age. It’s part of all our daily lives – on screen, on the page and in the environment.
• Plymouth Illustration Resources: Such as silkscreen, lino, etching, litho, letterpress, life drawing studio, ceramics, 3D workshops, textiles, photography, bookbinding and computer suites to develop digital skills.
• Award Winning Staff: taught by leading academics and industry practitioners.
• Opportunities: Numerous local, national and international competitions and live briefs, work experience and running public workshops.
• Study trip: To places such as London (Pick Me Up), Nice, Venice and Bologna (International Children’s Picture Book Fair), Berlin (Pictoplasma) and Barcelona.
• International Student Exchange Programme: (Europe/ Scandinavia/ US/ Japan) broadening your cultural references and forging new international contacts.
• Visiting lecturers: Help focus your ambitions and bring wider experience and opinions. Our visiting lecturer programme has included prestigious names from the world of illustration, including, amongst others: Chris Riddell , Peter Kennard, David Hughes , Laura Callaghan, Jon Mcnaught, Noki (NHS), Marcus Armitage, Richard Allen, Dave McKean, Ben Newman , Alex and Sam from NoBrow Press , Simone Lia , Dave McKee , Arena Artist Agents, Viv Schwarz and GF Smith Paper.
• Professional Practice: Ensures that you are ready for the commercial world or further study.
Exhibit: Your work at both our Degree Show and at a key London Graduate Show New Blood D&AD.